Monday, March 26, 2007

Getting things together

I got all of the garden bed boxes finished on Saturday, and got started on shovelling the topsoil from the walkways into the beds. I couldn't believe the number of nightcrawlers and earthworms in that soil, every spadeful had about 10-20 worms in it. That's a good sign, I think. I'll take some pictures of the setup this week and get them posted here.

We went to the Krell farm yesterday to pick out our pigs for this year. We found four gilts with black-spotted rumps that look pretty good. Jack will be delivering them on April 14th, so we'll have a bit of a headstart on last year. I think we should have a contest to name them this year, the winner gets 2 pounds of bacon in October. All ideas are welcome.

All of the seedlings indoors are in good shape, the peppers are just now sprouting. My tomatoes are about 90% sprouted, as is the cabbage.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of Hickory, Maple, Apple and Pepper. Do I get to win the bacon?

Anonymous said...

Chorizo, Link, Kielbasa, and Leaflard

Send the bacon to chumley in Montana

Anonymous said...

STEAMROLLER!

Anonymous said...

The farmers wife is not eligible, didn't you read teh fine print.

Anonymous said...

Daisy Mae, Mary Joe, Piggy Sue, Ellie Bell

Anonymous said...

I think the piglets names should be Enie, Menie, Minie and Mo. Not sure the the spelling but you catch my drift.
MJ told me about the contest and I couldn't resist and besides that I can't wait to taste that bacon!
Lisa in RL

Anonymous said...

Mom here ...

how 'bout Hammy, Chops, Riblet, and Snausage?

Anonymous said...

Spooney, Shovelor, ringneck, and scaup.




Captain Spooney

Anonymous said...

OK, here is my best shot:

Oliver
Wilbur
Porgie
Angus

Spooney under glass.

Anonymous said...

Gouger, Snouter, Rooter and Tusker!

If you are a fan of Discworld you will know these are the 4 pigs that pull the Hogfather's sleigh