Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lost post!

I thought I had added this post a month ago, but I guess I didn't. I wrote this after having my first "all-farm BLT":

Wednesday was the day. The day I had been building up to the ;last 2 years, all of the preparations were in place, all of the hard work complete, my patience at last rewarded, it was time to enjoy the fruits of my labors.

As you remember, we raised a couple of pigs on pasture behind the barn last summer. I saved one package of bacon in the freezer from last year's pig for just this moment.

I calibrated the toaster with a few 'test slices" so that the toast would be the perfect tawny amber, a hearty crunch, but with a little 'give' to the center of the bread.

I walked up to the garden and selected a beautifully ripe Brandywine tomato, an heirloom variety with deep burgundy flesh, and nearly large enough for a single slice to cover the sandwich. It seemed heavy for it's size, an indication that it was at the peak of it's flavor. A small head of Buttercrunch lettuce, bright green against the faded gold of the straw mulch, joined the tomato on our trip back to the kitchen.

The bacon was laid into a cold cast iron skillet, and carefully monitored while cooking to perfection. It's double-smoked aroma filled the kitchen.

It was time. I assembled the ingredients, gave the sandwich a quick slice on the diagonal and dove in.Utter bliss permeated every cell of my body as I savored this sandwich, the most incredible combination of flavors known to man, and knew that each of it's principal ingredients came from within 300 yards of where I sat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, did you grow the wheat to make the bread for that sandwich?

Farmer Jones said...

Carl Sagan has a great quote that applies here, "In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

So no, I did not grow the wheat, and I also did not create an alternate universe

Anonymous said...

wow...

Acting like a bunch of god damn stinky tree hugger hippies now aren't we?