Monday, August 11, 2008

Nothing but trouble

This just hasn't been a good year for the garden.

First we had a non-existent spring, now we are having a cold summer. Rabbits and deer attacked the peas and coles early, now something is killing my squash plants. The one bed I used an organic "weed preventer" in, instantly turned into the most weed-infested bed of plants I have ever seen.

The weather the past few days has just been beautiful, but definitely not normal. Early August should be unbearably hot, with humidity so thick that laundry hung out to dry just gets wetter. I woke up this morning and it was 53°! No wonder my tomatoes are taking so long to ripen.

Even with all the problems, we haven't suffered any significant lack of fresh produce yet, things just might be a bit leaner later in the summer. There's still time to plant many things, I just have to remember to do it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe its time to re-visit good ole herbicides. The Monsanto Corporation will thank you for it.

Farmer Jones said...

Let's pretend this space once contained a 5 paragraph diatribe against Monsanto and that I then deleted it to maintain my apolitical stance on this blog. It will save all of us a lot of time.