Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Canning season has begun

We started preserving some of the harvest last weekend. I am trying something different with the tomatoes this year, I basically made a gigantic pot of chili without the meat and canned it up in quart jars. My idea was that since chili always tastes better the next day, this is like getting a big head start. I should be able to simply brown up some stew meat and pour my premade chili mix over it and be ready to chow down in less than an hour. We'll see how it works.

We also made a big batch of raisins in the dehydrator. They are really good, but it takes a long time, almost 36 hours. Next up is making homemade grape juice and canning it with Grandma Jones' recipe.

Signs of autumn are beginning to appear, a few leaves turning and cool evenings. I'm looking forward to deer hunting in November already, looks like I will get to hunt opening weekend for a change, thanks to not having to butcher turkeys. I'm also planning on bowhunting for deer at our place since it appears we now have enough of a local population to support it. (And because they ate my pea vines!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What no duck hunting? Thats blasphemy.

Signed:

"Only the Spooney knows"......

Anonymous said...

Duck hunting simply goes without saying. I would have thought you would know that!

By the way, I am all stocked up on Federal Geyser-Shok shells, so warn those snorkeling Gadwalls!

Anonymous said...

Just think of it as having fattened up those deer with your pea vines, and you're going to reclaim them in some nice venison. -- Nate

Anonymous said...

Mmm, duck...well, not too quickly.

Happy belated Bday to the other half.