Saturday, November 08, 2008

Winter is coming

Hardly a leaf to be found on the trees now, must mean winter is close.

Put the plow on the farm truck last weekend when it was in the high 70s, it was a little shocking when I started the truck because one of the exhaust pipes broke since the last time I fired her up, so it was a bit loud!

Did some canning last weekend to help deal with the mega-pile of ground beef we got from our steer. We don't eat that much ground beef so it's hard to come up with uses for it other than your standard taco or spaghetti sauce. I made 8 quarts of a vegetable beef soup that my grandma used to make and I found out later it's actually her mom's recipe, so it's got some family history! We had a couple of the T-Bones and they were HUGE. Talked to Royal on Tuesday and found out that our beef came from his daughters prize steer from 4H, so it's good to know our dinner led a good life.

Today is cold and rainy, so I am avoiding going out and putting the finishing touches on the deer stand I'm building up in our woods, maybe I'll get at it tomorrow if it's nicer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ducks were really moving South yesterday. Swarms and swarms of them!

Captain Spooney.

Anonymous said...

Silly man, Ground beef and CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP! There's your answer.

Captain Spooney.

Anonymous said...

what's on TAP with all that BEEF there, YA BIG STRAPPING FARM BOY

you gotta drink SOMETHING!