Friday, February 20, 2009

Wintertime blahs

Late February. You've been drooling over the pictures in the seed catalogs for a month now, all memories of weeding and watering and cursing the squash bugs are forgotten, you need to GARDEN! But it's still to early to start any seeds indoors, no really, it really is, stop thinking about it. Well, maybe just some marigolds?

So what is the cure for this affliction? I wish I knew. Move to Zone 6 or 7? Probably not going to happen. You can only read so many books on gardening before they start contradicting each other and turning your mind to mush.

I guess I have a couple ideas for those of you that, like me , are frustrated Northern gardeners.

-Did you know that you can take those fresh herbs at the grocery store and stick them in a bit of rooting gel? And they'll grow! Ta-da, you have a kitchen garden without waiting weeks to grow from seed.

- Ok I lied, that's the only idea I have. But maybe you have something to tide us over until spring? Please share!

Cheers,

Doug

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm I have been doing research on ways to grow things that do not normally grow well in the great white north. I.E. okra. I want to try starting some in pots. I read the key is to be very careful in not damaging the tap root when transplanting. I may also see if I can find some black plastic to pot them into. I would like to try growing some big egg plants which are chocolate cake to flea beetles, so I want to try a floating row cover for those pests. I always try to plant something new that I have not grown before, an asian bok choy or something.

Charles Daly Spooney III

Farmer Jones said...

Well Mr. CDS III, I agree with you that it is fun to grow things that you aren't "supposed" to grow, but why would you want to grow disgusting mucusy okra?

Have you tried sweet potatoes? I can't get them to grow even when grown in plastic covered hills. I did recently discover the Sandhill Preservation Center, they maintain something like 40 varieties of sweet potato, and they are in Minnesota, so maybe there is hope.

Anonymous said...

It is good to hear from you Farmer Jones. I did grow sweet taters two years in a row actually. The first year I watered them and took care of them and I had great yields. The second year I assumed that they would do fine without a lot of care and I was wrong. So get some slips from Guerneys and I am sure they will do fine, drop me an email some time.

Okra sliced and fried with a little corn meal coating is pretty tasty. Plus I am to be dating a most excellent gal from Bangalore who practically worships okra.

CDS III

Anonymous said...

Why don't you take Cash out and go ice fishing or shoot some rabbits, instead of pining for gardening season, you big wussie?