Saturday, April 15, 2006

A new corral, and patience.


Spent the day yesterday working on finishing some renovation inside the house. Then, to escape the paint fumes I did some work down at the barn. We needed to have some way of getting the pigs out into the pasture without letting them get into the yard, so a new fence was necessary. I decided to put a gate in there to make my life easier. Pics are at the link, in the Barn album. As you can see, it was a 3 beer job.

Talked with Jack Krell, the plan is for him to bring the pigs over the first weekend in May, so a little bit more patience is needed. But, better for him to feed them than me! He says I can feed them up to 40% spent brewer's grain, if that turns out to be true we'll be feeding these oinkers for practially free.

This morning I got the first seeds into the garden. Peas, carrots, radishes, turnips, parsnips, kohlrabi, etc, etc. All of the cool weather things. Nikki is dubious about the whole "growing things from seeds" process. Hopefully there are lots of successful plants to show that it really can be done.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

No farm is complete without a goat. Do the right thing.

Anonymous said...

I just did some research online for you. If you follow this link:

http://fallcreekfarm.net/srdoes.htm

you'll find some nice does for sale. The last one on the page is "for sale after kidding." I guess you have to endure a few jokes and/or insults before the sale, but it's worth it to own the goat. Who wouldn't want to fill the cereal bowl straight out of the teat? All "kidding" aside, Doug...get a goat.

Farmer Jones said...

Everyone says to get a goat! Why is that? I have no desire to own a goat. They are ugly, foul-smelling creatures and I see no benefit to having one around. I've eaten goat 3 times and never liked it and will never bother trying it again.

Anonymous said...

The goat will eat things the other livestock won't. Plus, if you have a goat, the other livestock won't ever get sick.

This is common farm knowledge. What are you, some sort of city slicker pretending to be a farmer?

Anonymous said...

Goat's Head Soup is a wonderful CD...perhaps it makes a good meal as well.

Anonymous said...

Goat's Head Soup is terrible! One of the Stones' worst! "Dancing with Mr. D." is one of the dumbest songs they ever produced!

Anonymous said...

That fence does not look piglet proof. Are the gaps small enough

Farmer Jones said...

That fence isn't even close to pig-proof yet. Right now it is just nailed together, I still have to bolt it.

The inside of the fence will be covered with some old chain-link fence I have around and I'll run barb wire through the bottom of it.

Anonymous said...

I agree that "Dancing with Mr. D" isn't the greatest song (far from it, actually) but there are a few very good songs on that album.

1. Angie (obviously a classic)
2. Silver Train (I like it...some don't)
3. Star Star (formerly "starf***er"...hilarious song)
4. Winter (underrated song)

Out of the 10 songs in the album, there are about 5 that I'd say I actually like. Not a GREAT effort by the Stones by any stretch, but 50% is still better than a lot of the stuff currently being released.

Anonymous said...

Hello, hello Dough, ... you a farmer now????

Your mom sure as hell never told me that!

Any more pictures of you and the farm?

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Keep me posted,


Eppo Harbrink Numan

Anonymous said...

Anointymous to anonymous, ...

Leave the kid alone!

City slicker? Hm?

How dare you!

Farmer Jones said...

Hello Eppo!

I don't know if you could call me a farmer just yet, but I'm getting closer.

Good to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

Have you considered a sporting clays course on your property? Perhaps you could use old Rolling Stones records as the birds.