Monday, April 17, 2006

What the heck is an Ardwyn?

I suppose I should explain the farm's name. No, it's not some elf from the Lord of the Rings, or a Nordic princess. Ardwyn is simply a Welsh word that means "on the hill". Since we live in a mostly flat state, it is our farm's distinctive feature.

Last year I sold grapes to a Madison co-op that resold them to some of the best restaurants in Chicago (Charlie Trotter's, the Ritz-Carlton, etc.) They wanted to have a name to send checks to, and to have something fancy to add to the menus. So I did some research on farm names and learned that it is common in the UK to name your farm or home. Ardwyn sounded like a nice name, and since we are on a hill, and my family has some Welsh ancestry, it fit. So I just decided to keep it going.

The garden got a nice start on Sunday with mild temperatures and some light rain in the morning and early afternoon, much better than a intense storm to wash all of the seeds away.Seedlings indoors are doing well also. Right now I have 15 tomato plants, 10 bell peppers of various colors, 6 different hot pepper, as well as some marigolds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you won't "welsh" on paying your neighbors for the pigs.

BJ not BK said...

Farmer Jones, great to see you on the web. Your farm sounds awesome. Can you ship me some of your micro-brew? M and I want to come up and visit with you at Ardwyn. I am going to link you on my site. I have a blog roll I visit everyday or so. This way I can keep up with the Joneses.