Sunday, April 22, 2007

Optimism

Someone once said that a gardener is an eternal optimist, and I think that's true. I stopped at Home Depot the other day to buy a garden hose and saw that they had 12" tall potted tomato plants for sale already. Now THAT is optimism!

But since they were cheap, and I found a pot that had two plants in it which made it even cheaper, I decided to take a chance. I bought Mr. Stripey tomato plants, an heirloom variety that is very popular in New England.
On Friday I set up a couple of Wall o' Waters in one of the beds to get the soil warmed up. Saturday I cut off all of the branches on the first 3/4 of the plants and planted them in starting medium, trying to get even more plants out of my purchase. Today I planted the original plants inside the Wall O' Waters, with most of the stem underground to develop into roots.

I have no idea if any of the cuttings or the mother plants will survive, but if they do I should have tomatoes at least 2 weeks earlier than I had anticipated. I am optimistic!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Modern tomfoolery.

Farmer Jones said...

Well that is a cryptic post.

What, exactly, is "modern tomfoolery"?

If you are referring to the Wall O' Waters, they are based on the same principle as a cloche, which has been in use since around the 1600s.

If you consider the technology of the 17th century to be modern tomfoolery, I have no answer for you.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

One year of blogging! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

French Technology? HA!

el Crypto