Thursday, June 12, 2008

Too much rain!

If I had to choose one word to describe the past 7 days it would be "soggy."

The danged driveway washed out again on me (twice) again last weekend, but I guess that's better than having your whole house wash away, as happened over by the Dells.

The garden looks to have survived, the only problem is that it has really beat down the soil. Part of the reason to have raised beds is that you never walk among the plants and the soil stays light and fluffy. Well, throw that idea out the window because the soggy ground has compressed itself down pretty well. I'm thinking it's going to be a challenge to pull carrots and parsnips out of this dirt later in the year.

This afternoon calls for another 2-3 inches of rain that we don't need, I hope it doesn't do too much more damage to the driveway.

I have to admit that it's really weird not having any critters on the farm this year. I find myself checking craigslist to see if anyone is giving away chickens, and then wonder why I do it because I know I won't call or go get them. I've got the disease so badly I have even thought about getting ducks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with all the rain. I'm very envious of your farm - exactly the kind of thing that strikes a deep chord within me. Have a great growing season.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nate!

Stop by and visit next time you are in 'Sconnie