Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Lots of work ahead

We are just starting to see signs of ripening raspberries, mulberries, and blackberries. When they all get ripe it is going to be a LOT of berry picking, the raspberry bushes are absolutely astonishing in their bounty. I guess that's what happens when you clear out the old growth and prune them correctly. We are going to need friends and family to come over and pick berries too, there is no way we could eat all of the berries we are seeing grow right now.

In the garden my experiment in growing pole beans and corn next to each other is not working. The corn is growing too slowly to provide support for the bean vines. Next year I will try again but plant the beans 2 weeks after the corn, should be enough of a head start. I picked all of the radishes out of the garden yesterday, most of them were bigger than my thumb and wow, were they hot! Nikki and I are each giving them away to co-workers, there are just too many. That's what happens when the seed packet falls halfway out of your pocket and you unknowingly plant radishes throughout 1/4 of your garden.

All of the animals are doing well. The ducks are already big enough that I'm thinking of whacking a couple of them next week. They really are such a nuisance and so much work that I can't wait to be rid of them. Who would have thought that 7 ducks would be harder to care for and messier than 2 pigs?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mr. Jones...your choice of words to describe the butchering of the ducks just shows how much you don't care for them. I guess it is final that ducks will not be repeated next year. Which is okay by me! They stink.

Everyone at work loved the radishes. My co-workers asked if the radishes were radio active since they were so large.