Friday, June 02, 2006

Morning chores!

It just hit me , I have morning chores. I'm going to have to start getting up a little earlier.

This morning I headed down to the barn to feed and water the pigs. Breakfast was even bossier/crabbier than usual. I can't wait to eat that annoying pig!

After that it's up to the coop. First I checked the temperature of the brooders, it was a little chilly, I'll have to lower the IR bulbs a little bit in the evenings to compensate for the cool nights. Then on to cleaning out the brooders.

Let me tell you, ducklings are smelly, messy creatures. They fling water and feed all over the place and their droppings are quite foul smelling. I would rather clean out the pig barn any day. The turkey brooder was a piece of cake compared to the duck's. The ducks also seem to eat a lot more, but it may be that half of their feed is flung against the walls. It is always party time in the duckling brooder, I guess.

Next on the list was checking on the garden and giving it a good drink of water. We had a little rain last night so it didn't take as long as it might have. All in all it's about 30 minutes of work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to hear from Mrs. Farmer Jones? Does she sit by the pool and watch you work? I'm loving the blog. I don't even check my own email as much. That just shows who's life is more interesting!

BJ not BK said...

What time do you have to be at work? Is the pool ready or is it still winter up there :-)

Farmer Jones said...

I've been trying to convince Nikki to write something for the blog, her impressions of this craziness I've thrown us into, or whatever. I'll bring it up again tonight.

I set my own hours at work, there is no exact time that I need to be there, I usually try to be at work around 7:30-8:00 am, butI don;t have to punch a clock or anything.

The pool is not ready yet, still needs some H20, there were difficulties.

BJ not BK said...

Hope the pool thing is not too serious..that may hamper any visit..just kidding. Any plans for beehives for honey? Or making your own soap? This could be alot of fun for those of us living through you. We could order your products via the web and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Jones! Ms. G. Macke here. I've been meaning to get in touch since mom sent me your email, but I keep forgetting. It sounded like Brewmaster Jones had a pretty good life, but it looks like Farmer Jones has it better! I'm jealous. I'll drop you an email (really!)--you still check the Yahoo email, I hope. Talk to you more soon!
G.