Monday, July 10, 2006

A day no ducks would die

None of the ducks went to meet their maker last week. My neighbor stopped over and, in discussing the ducks, told me I'd be crazy to kill them now because I would be picking pinfeathers for hours, so I'm putting it off for a few weeks. They continue to be the least popular creatures on the farm, and their newfound interest in quacking their heads off is not winning them any points.

Grandma Jones and Leonard came by yesterday to see the place, they seemed to think we're doing OK . It was great having them over to see the place. We picked a couple of quarts of mulberries for my great-uncle Don, who is a big fan of mulberry pie. I hope Betty, my great-aunt, doesn't mind making one!

I picked and shelled peas on Saturday, looks like we will have enough to freeze some. I also harvested some carrots, trying to pry carrots out of our clay-heavy soil is a frustrating process. The ground just does not want to let go! Next year's garden soil should be a little fluffier with all of the organic matter we are adding to that patch. All of the tomato plants have little tomatolings growing on them now, so you can be sure that I am getting more and more restless every day , looking for that first sign of red.

In other news, the pool is open! Finally have it all filled up, balanced out and cleaned up, looks like this weekend is going to be a warm one so that will be nice. My nightmare now is that the ducks will find it, oh please, don't let the ducks find it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"QUACK,QUACK,QUACK!" said the little ducky to his friends, as he told them about the new pond he had discovered.
"Quack,QUACK,QUUAAACCCKKK!,said his brothers and sisters as they hurriedly put on their bathing suits,so that they could jump right in!
"QUACK,QUACK"> said one little ducky, meaning;"isn't this the life!"
the little ducks spent the day in the new pond,as they knew that Farmer Jones was away at work.
"HEY!(QUACK!) said brother ducky, i'm telling Farmer JOnes when he gets home that little ducky George did wee wee in the pool!" All the other ducks just laughed quackily, and went right on swimming in the new pond. a good day was had by all.....until......

BJ not BK said...

Glad to hear that the goose isn't cooked yet.