Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Duck dinner redux (ha!)

We had roasted duck, haricots verts, and garlic wild rice for dinner last night and it was outstanding! I made a sauce with red wine and some berries and currants that I picked last weekend, but the duck didn't really need it. I was amazed at how light the meat was, it was just a bit darker than chicken breast. As someone who has eaten a lot of wild duck, I was expecting it to be much darker. One duck was just about perfect for two people, there was only a little bit left when we were done. It was very rich and very delicious, but I still don't think I will bother with ducks again. Maybe one or two....

Picked a couple of cherry tomatoes out of the garden last night and they were great, some of the Yellow Pear tomatoes are getting close to ripe and I can't tell when the Green Zebras will be ripe because they stay green! I guess it will be trial and error. It also looks like will be picking zucchinis this week. I heard someone once describing their neighborhood this way, and it also applies to our neck of the woods, I thought it was pretty funny : " No one locks their car doors around here, except during zucchini season!"

3 comments:

Farmer Jones said...

They are all about equally annoying, this one was chosen simply because it walked into the coop instead of away from it, a bad choice from it's point of view.

It was actually pretty easy to mentally separate the duck on the table from the duck on the lawn. We did toast the duck and thank it for providing us with meat for our table before we ate, after that is was all about how good it was!

Anonymous said...

speaking of berries - please enjoy this. it came to me from receipt of the antiquated method of correspondence - email!

Original Email Post: If there is one perk to doing field work during the dog days of July ... its grazing on wild berries. One day I recounted eating seven different kinds of wild berries ... highbush blueberries, black highbush blueberries, low bush blueberries, huckleberries, dangleberries (not to be confused with dingleberries), blackberries and wineberries. But, out of all of them, the wineberry (in my estimation) takes the cake. (scroll)

Answer to Post: At 07:05 PM 7/26/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>>and wineberries.

> Let me guess....you found those growing on Boone's Farm.

Anonymous said...

i think 12.oo is extremely reasonable for a plucked duck. aunt dawn will take 1. let her know when and where.