Monday, August 28, 2006

More canning..

Sorry I have fallen off on my posting, I'll try to remember to get on here more often and write something.

I did some more canning this weekend, salsa and marinara sauce. I am going to pick up some quart jars and try making a "chili starter" type thing this week. I'll cook down a bunch of tomatoes into sauce and add all of my chili spices and some roasted hot peppers, then this winter I can just brown up some meat and add a quart or two of the sauce to it and have "instant" homemade chili. Seems like it should work, anyway. I'll let you know in a couple of months.

We sold a duck yesterday, that was nice, that was the first of our animals that was bought and paid for. I hope it tastes as good as the one we had a while back. I made an appointment today to have the hogs butchered, October 9th is their final day. The meat locker is only charging $20 to kill them, so I think I will just have them do it. It will be very different without our pigs around, but I am looking forward to that bacon! The turkeys I will be processing myself, probably the Monday of Thanksgiving week. That day is going to be a lot of hard work, but it will be worth it. I imagine the last of the ducks will meet their doom that day as well, so the farm will be free of livestock at that point.

The garden is nearly done. There are still dozens of tomatoes yet to ripen, I have just started harvesting some of the soybeans, and there are a few melons and squashes still growing, but that is about it. I harveted our first cantelope yesterday, it was smaller than a baseball! But it tasted pretty good, all 4 bites we got out of it. It looks like the soil in our garden patch was pretty poor after all, but we did the best we could and got quite a bit of food out of it, next year will be even better!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ever hear of the spice mixture "Beau Monde"? It is great sprinkled on tomato sandwiches, or slice anykind of unpeeled potatoes (I like Yukon Gold) for baking, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on some Beau Monde and bake. mmm - good. thanks for posting. i've missed the farm news.

Farmer Jones said...

I am not familiar with Beau Monde, sounds interesting. I like my tomatoes with just a little bit of salt and pepper, nothing too fancy.

I do nearly the same thing with taters, I wedge them and toss them with olive oil, sea salt, and fresh herbs from the garden and bake them.

Anonymous said...

will take fresh herbs any day over bottled herbs, but Beau Monde is quite nice. i'm moving from the suburbs this weekend (in the middle of Ernesto) to the city. there's a farmers market opem sat & sun's and i look forward to getting fresher fruits and vegetables than what is at the local grocer. take care

ShoeRat said...

Do you have a compost pile? This is my third year with one, and feeding it straw and pine shaving debris from the hen house and coop makes for vigorous decomposition. Till that into your soil, your garden will improve, I betcha.