Friday, August 04, 2006

Some relief from the heat


As you can see, the sunflowers are doing pretty well! I am 6'4" and I believe the plant on the right side of the picture is almost twice as tall as I am by now. "What are you going to do with the sunflowers?", you ask? I have absolutely no idea. I just like them.

Some other new pictures are posted in the photobucket albums at the link, you can see how big the turkeys and pigs are getting.

Speaking of the turkeys, it looks like we have just one more left to sell as a pre-order for Thanksgiving. I want to keep a few turkeys as backups in case anything happens to any of the pre-ordered birds. It shouldn't be too hard to sell the extras the week before turkey day if it turns out that we have extras. I think all of the ducks are spoken for too. I have decided to try to keep a couple of the ducks to see if they will lay eggs, especially now that I discovered that at least one of my Runners is a female.

Yesterday I discovered that our Pekin ducks can fly! Well, that is they can fly if they get a running start. And if they are running downhill. With a headwind. Okay, they can jump pretty far while flapping their wings. It was slightly impressive. The mallard hen took right off but then looked slightly embarassed that she made it look so easy and landed just a little past her cousins. Luckily the ducks always travel in a group so I shouldn't have to worry about her taking off on me.

The garden is doing well, picking lots of cherry tomatoes now. It is definitely zucchini season, we had zucchini lasagna and fried zucchini slices for dinner last night. The weather is suposed to be nice and cooler this weekend so I should be able to get some work done on the lawn and in the garden. And I'll have to find time to butcher the last 3 Pekins for those that have asked for them. Should be a good busy weekend.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Shaved raw zucchini in a spicy cream sauce is good too. (sounds dirty, but I mean shaved like with a carrot peeler into little strips, and the cream sauce is just yoghurt & cayenne & whatever else you fancy)

Is that a special named variety of sunflower? Mine always fall over, or the weight of their heads break their stalks but yours don't seem to need restraints at all.

Farmer Jones said...

I will have to try that zucchini recipe, sounds pretty good!

I don't remember the variety of sunflower that is, but it was the 2nd tallest one you could buy from the Burpee catalog.

Hey Ron, the reason I chose pigs as the first animal for the farm was that it is a relatively short term commitment. If you buy them as 30 lb piglets they are done in about 6 months. And I also knew that if I REALLY didn't like raising pigs I could sell them in mid-summer at the 120-140lb mark to people wanting to do a pig roast.

You are right, we should have prices somewhere. Next year I'll expand our listing at Local Harvest and allow people to order through that site.

BJ not BK said...

Glad to see that all is going well. I was amazed when I saw the picture of you and the sunflower, are you sure you arent' sitting or standing on your knees? That is amazing.