Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Another heat wave

It has been crazy hot here again, as it is everywhere this week it seems.

I didn't get much done last weekend because I was having back problems, just starting to get better now. We went to the county fair on Sunday and had a good time looking at all of the 4-H animals and eating deep-fried food. Looks like we are doing just fine with our pastured pigs, they have the same general shape as the ones we saw at the fair. I'm guessing that Breakfast is pushing 200lbs now. I need to take some pictures and get them posted soon. The pigs are doing just fine in the heat. I fill up a big mudhole for them every morning and then I give them a nice cool shower with the hose when I get home from work.

The garden is going along pretty well, picked a few zucchinis already and some cherry and pear tomatoes. We almost have enough cukes picked to start pickling them. There are a few canteloupes getting started on the vine, no watermelons yet though. Seems late, but we'll see. I'm thinking about sticking a few more seeds in the garden yet for a late crop of radishes, carrots, beets and few more things maybe. Not until this heat backs off a little though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure make going to a tractor pull sound like a Norman Rockwell painting, Farmer Jones.

Anonymous said...

ooooh....I want to make extra money too, Farmer Jones! Thanks for the link!

BJ not BK said...

Hot here too. We did venture out yesterday, L, M, and me on our bikes. As long as you keep moving the air keeps you somewhat cool. How was the fair? Did you eat any corn on the cob or funnel cakes?