Monday, May 21, 2007

First salad of 2007

Tonight we're having the first salad from the garden this year. I picked a double handful of various lettuces, chard, radishes, and a couple of green onions. I can't wait. We'll also have a side dish of asparagus from the yard. I'll have to look back at the archives and see what the date was for last year's first salad.

I breathed a sigh of relief yesterday when I finally spotted some potato vines beginning to appear. I was starting to think they were all duds. So far only the red potatoes are up, I hope the others follow soon.
I got the second plantings of carrots, sweet corn, radishes, beets, chard, salad greens, and peas in yesterday. I also planted cucumbers and green beans.

Saturday we spent with family at my niece's first birthday party. It was nice to see a lot of family we hadn't seen in a while, we had a great time and my niece is, of course, the cutest one year old on earth.

2 comments:

Farmer Jones said...

Wow! Looking at the archives, it appears our first salad last year was June 22nd. I can't believe we were a month earlier this year.

The salad was excellent, by the way. I had to restrain myself form just grapping handfuls of lettuce and packing my cheeks like a chipmunk.

Anonymous said...

Potatoes
Tomatoes
Stew

Eggplants...mmm
tomatoes
potatoes
oats