Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Planting by the signs

I finally got my order of potatoes and onions yesterday.

I had decided that I would follow folk wisdom and plant my belowground crops in the dark of the moon, and sure enough I get my potatoes the day before a full moon. So the potatoes went onto trays and into the fridge out in the barn, awaiting more propitious circumstances. The onions we planted after supper, they were looking a little wilted and I didn't want to risk damaging or losing them.

Those of you that know me, know that I consider the scientific method the greatest achievement of man. And that I consider astrology to be beneath contempt. So why am I following dated, semi-astrological beliefs about planting belowground crops in the dark of the moon? I guess it's because I am not so foolish as to believe that there there may not be a reason that we just have not discovered yet. It seems to me that people that depended on the vegetables they planted for survival were probably more in touch with the ground that they worked and the plants they tended than we are today. If planting by the signs was good enough for them, I am not going to immediately discount it.

Since I do trust the scientific method, I am going to plant just a few of the seed potatoes today, on the day of a full moon. It may turn out to be an interesting experiment. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of "farmer" uses twenty dollar words like "propitious"?!? You're no farmer, you're a fake.

Farmer Jones said...

I got "propitious" for $13.50 because the one I bought was made in Bangladesh.

I would only pay $20 for a good long word that sounds funny, like "gibberelic", or "speleological".

Anonymous said...

http://www.yearroundtomatoes.com/index.html?directLoad

Roast Spooney

Farmer Jones said...

Ha! I saw that TV ad last weekend. It looks like you get a mylar bag, a peat pellet, a bag of those "moisture crystals" and a small packet of seeds.

I love the idea, but there is no way those work.