Monday, July 09, 2007

An interesting morning

The saga of Pepper the Pig continues...

Friday morning, I was enjoying a cup of coffee when I glanced out the window. "Hmmm", I thought, "That is a really big dog in our yard!"

It took about 3 seconds for the truth to fight through to my still caffeine-deprived brain "That's no dog, that's a PIG!" I shouted something incomprensible to Nikki, along the lines of "puh-PIG! Yard Help Loose!" Luckily it was enough to make her realize that something was wrong and she followed me out the door.

My first action was to run down to the pasture to see how many pigs had escaped. Luckily, the other three were contentedly grazing or lying in the mud. I closed the gate and began the pursuit of our escapee. It took a few tries and about 10 minutes, but eventually we got her back where she belonged. I can only imagine how tough it would have been to wrangle 4 of them, so we got very lucky there. Our friends Mark and Amy, who were visiting this weekend, found the whole scene very comical.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our city dwelling friends Amy and Mark at first thought it was all a part of the morning routine. Mark's first thought was that it was nice that we let our pigs graze in the yard. Amy thought that it was a part of some crazy farm game. I had mentioned that we were planning to play some yard games. I think I will stick to horse shoes.

Anonymous said...

You obviously have not seen the newest Charlotte's Web movie otherwise you would've had the exact words for the occasion: "Pigs loose, pigs loose!" says the farmer's wife. The other barn animals yell, "Run pig, run!" Maybe your pig was getting encouragement from his other farm friends.