Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy New Year

I realize I have all but abandoned the blog since the last frost, sorry about that!

We are now in the planning stages for next year and there are going to be some dramatic changes in our approach.

Perhaps the most noticeable change will be the lack of livestock. We won't be raising any animals in 2008. As much as we enjoy our farm-raised meat and eggs, we need to take a summer off and take care of some much needed maintenance. It will also be nice to be able to leave the farm for a weekend if we desire and not have to worry about the critters! I wil definitely miss our pasture-raised pork, hopefully we can find a local farmer to buy some from. Grocery store pork just doesn't taste right anymore.

There will also probably be some big changes in the garden. Right now I am thinking about dedicating 6 of the 10 garden beds for Nikki and I, and then growing just 3 varieties of vegetable in the remaining 4. As much as we enjoyed doing the GardenShare program this year, it was occasionally nerve-wracking. I would like to concentrate on just a few vegetables grown for sale to local restaurants and co-ops, much like we did with our grapes back in '05.

Other plans for 2008 include having a couple big parties out at the farm. We hope to have at least 2 shindigs this summer, or perhaps even a hootenanny! We'll keep you informed, so make sure your tent is ready to go!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi neighbor,
I live on hwy M just down the hill from Filmore. We are the ones with the 2 Llamas and various critters on our pasture during the growing season. I just ran across your Blog on Saturday. had to laugh at all your animal experiences you posted, been there done that! oh the stories I could tell you. We have been raising all our own meat, chikens, ducks, lamb and beef for a few years now on pasture. I will be doing some pastured pork this spring now that our steer is in the freezer and we have the pasture space. If you would like a whole or half pig let me know. Buy the way, last spring I was out at Jacks checking out his operation for a source of feeder pigs small world huh?

Bruce Custer bjmcuster@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I ain't gonna work on Ardwyn Farm no more
I ain't gonna work on Ardwyn Farm no more
I tried my best
to raise turkeys pigs and ducks
But after all my work
No one gives a .....

Nice to see the blog active again, Farmer Jones!

Anonymous said...

Hey Bruce!

I've driven past your place quite a few times, you sure raise a lot of animals on that piece of land!

I intended to copy that chicken shelter of yours this past summer but never got around to doing it, my chickens ended up hiding in the bushes all the time anyway.

Glad to hear from you, we'll let you know about a hog later this year, thanks for letting me know.

Cheers,
Doug

BJ not BK said...

Missed you brother!