Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Winter update

Just to add a bit of information to the previous post, we just had one of the more dramatic weather swings that I can remember. We had a nice little break from the weather and it warmed up into the 40s on Monday, continuing into yesterday. Yesterday evening that all changed...

It was 46° at 3pm yesterday, this morning at 7am it was -12°, and the windchill was between -30° and -35°.

The wind was blowing so hard last night that it was just a constant roaring hummm. Luckily for us, the pioneers that built our house put it in a good spot, sheltered from the prevailing winter winds by the hill. Somewhere along the way another owner planted a small windbreak of pine trees, which also helps a lot. I think I'd like to extend that windbreak a bit this summer by planting some more pines. I may not be around to enjoy the benefits of it, but someday a future owner might thank me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought maybe a tornado or the big bad wolf came along & blew the farm down! I was checking throughout Nov., Dec., & the first half of Jan. but no news! Thought I'd give it one more shot, glad I did. Hope you weather the winter well & good luck in the spring.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You truly think about sustainability and the environment, Farmer Jones. Though I do not know you, I would hazard a guess that you drive a Subaru?

If my guess is correct, please contact the Wisconsin headquarters of the Obama campaign. We would like to place a sign on your corner.