Monday, June 18, 2007

Garden Shares start this week

This week Friday will be the first weekly pick-up/delivery to our CSA subscribers. Payment for the full 10 weeks is due at that time.

It looks like it will be a fairly good selection, I was just reading a column in the local paper by a guy that got his first box last week. It sounded like it was pretty heavy on herbs on not much on fruits and vegetables, so I think we are on track to provide a good value to our customers.

The Great 4th of July Tomato Project experiment is in a questionable stage, there are plenty of tomatoes started, but it is unknown if any will be fully ripened by July 4. Nearly all of my tomato plants have started fruiting, much earlier than last year, so in any case it will be a longer BLT season.

I put in the last major planting of the year on Saturday, from this point on the only seed planting will be very short-season fill-in crops. I even planted a row of sweet corn, it probably won't mature in time, but I had the space and the seeds so I took a chance.

5 comments:

Farmer Jones said...

I don't usually comment on my own entries, but in doing some quick addition it looks like that last sweet corn planting might mature in time after al.

It is an early variety that matures in about 62 days, which would be mid-late August. The weather should still be fine then!

Anonymous said...

This week Friday will be the first weekly pick-up/delivery to our CSA subscribers

You are providing produce to the Confederate States of America? The war has ended, dude.

Wendy said...

Apparently not for anonymous. I have to admit that when I see CSA, the last thing I think of is the Confederacy, dude.

Anonymous said...

We in the south refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression.

Anonymous said...

Wendy evidently doesn't where a big shiny brass buckle with the initials "CSA" emblazoned on it. I bet she doesn't have rebel flag mudflaps, either, or listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd.