Tuesday, May 09, 2006

May is 'Eat Locally' month

Well, I had a big long diatribe here about industrial agriculture but I deleted it because I vowed to myself when I started this blog that I would keep politics out of it and I was getting awfully close to the edges.

So instead you get this. May 2006 is "Eat Locally" month.

Try to prepare even just one meal a week with ingredients grown in your area. The local McDonald's doesn't count! I know it's difficult right now in Wisconsin because there aren't many farmer's markets open yet but a meal of fresh fish, asparagus, and rhubarb crisp sounds pretty good and all of those things are in season right now. Look around, get to know who is producing wholesome, fresh and trustworthy food in your area. I guarantee you'll enjoy your meal, and not just because it is fresher than anything you'll find in a supermarket.

New pictures of the yard and it's springtime blooms are in the photobucket albums. New garden pictures too!

No pheasants yet and today was day 28. I think we got duds.
Edit: I forgot that we got some more 3 days later, all hope is not yet lost

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great photo album. brings a moment of peace to my troubled day. "May", eat locally month. that's great. i've been eating locally about 99% of the time since Nov 1, 2005 and have lost 50 lbs. is interesting to me that the thought of "eating out" has such tiny appeal now. local means home to me. thanks for today's great blog. tj aunt to bj not bk

BJ not BK said...

yummy free range rhubarbs.

Anonymous said...

June is "Drive an organic Subaru" month