Monday, May 08, 2006

Waiting is over, the work begins

Well I have proved to Nikki that you can plant seeds and get plants from them, she is still skeptical though. I believe her statement was something like "I'll believe it when I have my first salad." So I thinnned out the leaf lettuce and salad greens yesterday and washed them off and served her a tiny salad of what a high-priced restaurant would call "microgreens". Mission accomplished!

The garden is growing very well, the beets sprouted sometime when I wasn't paying attention, so only the parsnips and carrots are left to sprout from the first planting. Cabbages got planted on saturday. I'm thinking of cheating and putting some tomato plants out a little early since it has been so warm and sunny. Since I have 19 plants started indoors I'll be all right even if some of them don't make it. By the way, does anyone need any tomato plants?

As far as the critters go, the pheasants are supposed to hatch sometime this week, still no activity there. The hogs are gettting bigger every day. I posted some new pictures of them at the Farm Pictures link, in the Pigs album, naturally.

Nikki and some of her girl friends went out for dinner on Saturday and at the end of the evening one of them said "we should give the leftovers to the pigs!" so they asked the waitress for a styrofoam box. She said the look on the waitress' face when she came back to the table and saw all of the plates scraped clean and only the one box was priceless.

That's all for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get the tomatoes out, but use those "wall o' water" gizmos

Anonymous said...

The pigs look happy ... but Cash seems a little tense in the one photo ... can't help but notice his spine arched.

A microgreen salad. Touche!

Love the idea of saving the leftovers for the pigs. I can only imagine the waitress' face.

BJ not BK said...

Any problems with rabbits attacking your greens? Can we come up and do a pig roast sometime? M keeps looking at the farm photos and really wants visit sometime.

Farmer Jones said...

I was looking at those wall of water things, the old standard is a milk jug with the bottom cut out of it though!

Cash the dog is definitely tense around the hogs, he thinks they should be afraid of him, but they seem to know they will soon be bigger then he is and walk right up to him.

Hey BJ you guys are welcome here anytime, probably won't do a pig roast though! So far no problems with rabbits, I do need to finish fencing the garden in though.I found deer tracks in there last week so I might need a bigger fence all around.