Friday, May 19, 2006

Now I'm Uncle Farmer Jones!

My little sister had her baby, so I'm a first time uncle. Alexia Morgan Haight was born on Wednesday afternoon and, by all accounts, is the prettiest, happiest baby in the land. I can't wait to meet her, we will head up sometime this weekend if the new parents are up to it.

Not much new on the farm, the bats have returned and just in time because I saw a gaggle of mosquitoes trying to carry off my dog last week. Sunflowers have sprouted in the garden and I got in there yesterday to attack some of the weeds that exploded during this recent deluge. The grapevines have started to grow leaves so I must not have killed them all with my slash and burn pruning this winter, that is encouraging.

Have been researching how to care for ducks and turkeys, every reference I find says that ducks have amusing personalities and are fun to watch. I will somehow have to convince Cash the dog that they are not for him to eat. I talked to the production manager at the cheese factory that is on my way home and he had no problem with me picking up a bucket of whey for the pigs every week or so, the pigs will be happy with that.

Life is good on the farm and we're enjoying spring, even though there are many projects to work on. I really have to start getting the pool ready for summer, I should call my cousins and have them yell at me about it, I'm sure they could motivate me to get to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi. am still enjoying the farm blog. please assure me Cash is on Heartworm preventative. not stuff you get at the feed store. no OTC covers the Heartworm, but the real stuff you only get at the Vet. if not, Cash must be tested and treated, if necessary. Otherwise you'll have cut many years off dear Cash's life if left if he is positive and left untreated. bj not bk can explain my passion for dog rescue and owner responsibility. thanks.