Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Queen of the Pigs

I believe that Breakfast has decided that she is the Empress of all things Porcine and that I am simply a vassal, providing her with her twice-daily royal meal.

When she hears me open the door to the feed room and start mixing feed she will walk out of the barn into the corral area and begin grunting at me. If she determines that I am taking too long she starts pacing back and forth and gives an urgent series of squeals, telling me to get with it.

Yesterday morning I decided to see just how far I could push it. I filled the feed bucket, walked into the barn and just stood by their trough. Breakfast started off by shoving her head against the back my calves, grunting quite loudly. When this failed she started trying to flip the feed bucket out of my hands with her snout, squealing in frustration. When I raised the bucket up out of her reach this was apparently too much for Her Highness to accept, she started biting my shoe! I was put back into my place because that tactic worked.

The garden is doing great, except for the 4 tomato plants I put out. Mother Nature decided to throw me a curveball and have a nice frost on the morning of May 22nd. Our last frost before that was, I think, April 14th, so I wasn't even listening to the weather forecasts at this point. So 4 of the plants I have been tending to indoors for 2 months are now quite spectacularly dead. I'm just glad I didn't put all of the plants out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only knuckleheads put tomato plants out before Memorial Day.

Farmer Jones said...

Haha ER, you aren't going to get me to respond to THAT!

The shoes she is biting are rubber 'clog' type things, so no laces on them.

Hey Pop, I don't know how wimpy living in SC has made you, but I haven't worn a coat in weeks! ;)